HTC Vive is one of the best VR headsets for gaming, but it does have a few quirks. One of these quirks is that you can’t take screenshots in-game. This is because the headset uses an external camera to display your view on the screen, so there’s no way to capture what you see with the headset.
This tutorial will teach you how to take screenshots in the HTC Vive using SteamVR.
The difficulty to quickly record and share video with friends is a frequent problem with virtual reality headgear. High-end headsets, such as the HTC Vive, function completely as a separate display. For those who have tried, this makes getting the video stream from the headset considerably more difficult.
SteamVR is always adding new capabilities to the HTC Vive, and one of those improvements is fast access to screenshots. With the help of this function, you may rapidly take screenshots from inside your favorite games by pressing two buttons.
Here’s how to share a screenshot taken using the HTC Vive with your pals.
Using the HTC Vive, take a screenshot.
SteamVR’s snapshot functionality is based on an existing Steam feature that enables users to quickly take and share screenshots via the service. This has been changed for the HTC Vive, which now allows you to take screenshots in any SteamVR game.
- Open SteamVR and launch a game of your choosing.
- To capture a screenshot, hold down the System Button and the Right Trigger at the same time.
Screenshots may also be captured using a conventional keyboard shortcut, much as in other Steam games. By hitting the F12 key on the keyboard while looking at the game’s on-screen mirror, you may use this technique.
Using the HTC Vive, you can see your screenshots (Simple)
Screenshots obtained using the technique described above may be seen in the HTC Vive using SteamVR. Saved screenshots will be presented as three-dimensional pictures while wearing the headset. This maintains the illusion of depth inside scenes, but only catches a small portion of the scene.
- Navigate to the game that appears in the screenshot in SteamVR.
- Select the Screenshots option from the drop-down menu (pictured above).
- To see the picture thumbnails in 3D within the headset, choose them.
Using Windows, you may see your screenshots (Advanced)
SteamVR’s largely restricted environment, which has yet to allow any kind of social networking sharing, is an obvious flaw. Screenshots captured within the headset may be retrieved from Steam’s program files using Windows’ File Explorer. Because the file path for screenshots isn’t uniform between PCs, finding the pictures may take some searching. While we can’t provide you a specific file location for your screenshots, here’s what you should search for.
- Navigate to the userdata folder on the disk where Steam is installed. This is often seen under C: Files for Programs (x86) Steamuserdata
- Because of the variability across devices, finding the screenshots folder may be difficult. A lot of folders have names that are made up of arbitrary digits, which quickly adds to the confusion. Screenshots will be buried in a folder with a directory that looks like the one below.
userdata > String of numbers (1) > String of numbers (2) > remote > String of numbers (3) > screenshots
- Each title’s third string of digits serves as a unique identification. Each game with associated screenshots will be separated into its own folder.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are my steam VR screenshots?
This is not a question.
How do you take a photo on VR?
To take a photo on VR, you will need to use the camera of your phone or tablet. You can also use any 360 degree camera that is compatible with the app.
- steam vr screenshot oculus quest
- steam vr screenshot index
- steamvr screenshot folder
- valve index screenshot folder
- how to take pictures in vrchat on quest