What is your idea of a lazy relaxing day?
You can’t do something exciting every weekend or holiday.
Netflix has been great for people who love watching TV series and movies.
Since Netflix is an economical subscription service that offers a huge variety of TV shows and series to be streamed online, it has quickly gained popularity.
People throughout the world love Netflix because they stay home and can spend the day binge-watching their favorite series.
Things are getting even better with the launch of Netflix VR.
Since this is the latest technology and is full of fun and new experiences, many people are trying it out.
Virtual reality is a computer generated, interactive experience which takes place in a simulated environment.
Auditory and visual feedback is usually incorporated.
However, it is possible to add other types of sensory feedback.
The immersive environment that is generated can either be fantastical or similar to the real world.
Another big reason why VR is rapidly gaining popularity is its ability to completely shut off the user from the real world and transport them into the virtual world.
While your roommates are busy having group studies, you can still enjoy watching unlimited TV series and movies.
Things are getting even better. VR Gear paired with Netflix has elevated the game and made it better.
The downloading and installation of VR on Gear is relatively simple and is a novel experience.
Let’s discuss the details of watching Netflix on Gear VR.
How to install the Netflix app on your cell phone:
You will need Samsung cell phone that is compatible with Gear VR, a Gear VR headset and a WiFi connection.
- Run the OCULUS app on your cell phone, before putting your phone in the Gear viewer.
- The OCULUS app runs in two modes. If it is in the Store mode, skip to step 5. If it is in the library mode, follow steps 3 and 4.
- Tap the three lines in the upper left corner for a drop-down
- Select the Store mode from the menu.
- Once the store menu opens, tap the search icon (magnifying glass).
- Type Netflix in the search field to locate and install Netflix.
How to watch Netflix Movies/Series on Gear VR:
‘Pipper’ refers to a dot or a circle, which is used by apps as a portable impact point.
It is similar to the cursor on your laptop.
The Gear VR uses your head movement to move along the screen and point at available options.
You can then enter your selection, by touching the Gear’s tap pad.
- Run the Netflix app in the OCULUS menu, by positioning your pipper over it and tapping your touchpad.
- If you cannot find Netflix app in the main menu of the Oculus, search your library>My apps to locate and launch it.
- Log in to your Netflix account.
- Choose your user profile and scroll through a number of movies and series options that are available on Netflix.
- Select the movie of your choice, sit back and enjoy.
How is the Netflix VR experience?
If you are new to the Netflix VR experience, you will be greeted in a beautiful home with a cinema room to stream videos.
There are two modes available to choose from.
- Living room
- Void mode
If you choose the living room mode, you will find yourself perched on a plush red sofa with a huge screen in front of you.
There will be a window showing beautiful scenes from the outside world and large posters of the blockbusters from Netflix’s content hung on the walls.
The only disadvantage of this mode is that you have to sit upright to enjoy it.
If you want to lie down, you will be looking at the ceiling of your virtual room, which means you cannot watch what the screen is showing.
The void mode comes to the rescue, if you feel the urge to straighten your back by lying down.
This mode transforms the living room into a blank, black space.
Your position will not matter to the screen.
If you want to pause at any time during streaming, you can press the back button on the touchpad or remove the headset.
The video can be resumed, by putting on the headset and pressing the ‘’Enter’’ button.
Netflix VR is very much similar to the other versions of Netflix.
If you have been using Netflix on your smart TV, X-BOX or laptop, you will find there is almost no difference in the VR version.
What are the limitations of Netflix VR on Gear?
We understand that everything new comes with room for improvement.
This is also true when watching Netflix VR on Gear.
Two of the major issues commonly experienced by the users are
- Overheating of the Gear VR
- Battery drain of your cell phone
If you do not want to be interrupted while watching something interesting, follow these steps.
- Make sure your phone battery is completely charged.
- Close all the extra applications running in the background of your phone.
- Make sure that the rear cover of the Gear isn’t attached. Although it may sound tempting to watch videos using the Gear cover since it obstructs outside light, it contributes to the heating up of the Gear.
- Preferably switch your phone to the Do Not Disturb mode.
- Adjust the brightness of your phone screen. The brighter the screen, the quicker the battery drains.
- Invest in a purpose built cooling
With an easy to use interface, a great selection of content and frequent improvements, Netflix VR has a complete recipe for an amazing experience on Gear.